About / Core Beliefs
To provide leadership, coordination, collaboration and a unified voice on issues of sexual abuse and sexual assault.
An Alberta free of sexual abuse and sexual assault.
As a provincial umbrella organization, the Association of Alberta Sexual Assault Services focuses its efforts in these key areas:
AASAS works to increase public and government awareness of issues involving sexual abuse and sexual assault, and the impacts they have on all Albertans.
AASAS strives to ensure that all Albertans affected by sexual abuse and sexual assault have access to healing and recovery programs, services and supports.
- We believe anyone can be a victim of sexual abuse and sexual assault.
- We believe anyone affected by sexual abuse and sexual assault has the right to access effective, affordable, and timely services that are distinct and specialized.
- We believe everyone has the capacity and resiliency to recover from sexual abuse and sexual assault.
- We believe victims of sexual abuse and sexual assault are not to blame and perpetrators must be held accountable.
- We believe society minimizes the impact of sexual abuse and sexual assault on individuals and that minimization has devastating outcomes for survivors.
- We believe society minimizes the crime of sexual abuse and sexual assault, and this must change in order to address and prevent issues of violence.
- We believe services addressing sexual abuse and sexual assault need to be delivered in an inclusive, respectful, and equitable manner regardless of ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, or ability.
- We believe there is a need for increased recognition and support for existing and emerging sexual assault services in Alberta.
- We believe education and awareness initiatives need to be targeted at everyone.
- We believe prevention initiatives are not to be targeted to survivors or potential survivors but towards perpetrators and potential perpetrators as well as those who can intervene.
- We believe that treatment is a form of prevention because healthy individuals and healthy communities break the cycle of abuse.
- We believe in the need for treatment and for greater access to treatment for perpetrators of sexual abuse and sexual assault.